History

 

In 1953 Rev. Marlin A. Mentz was called by the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod to develop a mission in the south Atlanta area. East Point, Georgia was chosen as the site for development because of its close proximity to Fort McPherson and to the Southside of Atlanta. The first service of the new mission was held in the Russell High School auditorium (where Tri-Cities High School now stands) on June 14, 1953. The communicant membership of 50 (80 baptized) adopted the name Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, and was chartered in Jan. 1954 and held its organizational service on March 14, 1954. Eventually property was purchased at Montrose and DeLowe Drives in East Point. The first unit of the Master Plan for development was built and dedicated in June of 1956 as a combined Chapel/Education building. The present Chapel was dedicated on February 8, 1960. In 1963 a Deaconess was called and a kindergarten was begun for 5 year olds. In 1968 the kindergarten was expanded to include 4 year olds. The third building, the Concordia Building was built in 1965 and dedicated in 1966 to accommodate the many Sunday School classes that were needed. The Sunday School peaked with 186 students and staff. The membership of the church had grown to 450 at this time.

During the 1960's Christ Church contributed members to the mission congregations of Holy Cross, Riverdale; Zion, Newnan; Faith, Marietta; and Prince of Peace, Douglasville. In 1974, Pastor Mentz accepted the Call to Prince of Peace, Douglasville. The Reverends Joseph Meixner, Leo Wehrspann, James Brooks, Jeff Ehlers and Peter Ave Lallemant served as Pastors from 1975 until Nov. 2001. In the early 1980's Christ Lutheran reached out to the community that was changing in population and in culture, and once again Christ Lutheran became an active, evangelistic congregation under the leadership of Rev. Ehlers. In 1987 the congregation took a giant step of faith when they undertook the enlargement of the school by adding elementary grades and by calling a principal and two new teachers. Approximately 90% of the congregation was engaged in some aspect of service to the church. A statement of Mission in Ministry was developed, and in 1989 the mortgage was paid off. In 1990 the Church Growth Study Committee recommended expansion of the present facilities, and on Feb. 10, 1991 ground was broken for the two-story Mission Facility, the 4th building of the complex. It was dedicated in July 1991 and houses offices, an all purpose room, and 5 classrooms. Dr. Ellinor B. White became principal of the school in 199l.

 

In late 1992 Pastor Ehlers announced that he had received and was accepting a call as Missionary to Thailand, and performed his last official act as Pastor of Christ Lutheran in Jan.1993. In 1993 a call was issued to Rev. Peter Ave Lallemant from Omaha, NE. In 1995 Hurricane Opal damaged the first building built in 1956, but it was restored to a much more efficient state and re-dedicated in March 1996. The church and school began a decline in the late 1990's. Vicar Ralph Hough filled the pulpit after Pastor Ave Lallemant accepted a divine call to Memphis, TN. and left Christ Church in Nov. 2001. Rev. Stephen Wiggins was called and took office in March 2003.
 
Christ Lutheran Church is a multi-cultural congregation with a contemporary style of worship and praise; and a true, direct, and applicable delivery of the Word by Pastor Wiggins.In 1953 Rev. Marlin A. Mentz was called by the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod to develop a mission in the south Atlanta area. East Point, Georgia was chosen as the site for development because of its close proximity to Fort McPherson and to the Southside of Atlanta. The first service of the new mission was held in the Russell High School auditorium (where Tri-Cities High School now stands) on June 14, 1953. The communicant membership of 50 (80 baptized) adopted the name Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, and was chartered in Jan. 1954 and held its organizational service on March 14, 1954. Eventually property was purchased at Montrose and DeLowe Drives in East Point. The first unit of the Master Plan for development was built and dedicated in June of 1956 as a combined Chapel/Education building. The present Chapel was dedicated on February 8, 1960. In 1963 a Deaconess was called and a kindergarten was begun for 5 year olds. In 1968 the kindergarten was expanded to include 4 year olds. The third building, the Concordia Building was built in 1965 and dedicated in 1966 to accommodate the many Sunday School classes that were needed. The Sunday School peaked with 186 students and staff. The membership of the church had grown to 450 at this time.
 
During the 1960's Christ Church contributed members to the mission congregations of Holy Cross, Riverdale; Zion, Newnan; Faith, Marietta; and Prince of Peace, Douglasville. In 1974, Pastor Mentz accepted the Call to Prince of Peace, Douglasville. The Reverends Joseph Meixner, Leo Wehrspann, James Brooks, Jeff Ehlers and Peter Ave Lallemant served as Pastors from 1975 until Nov. 2001. In the early 1980's Christ Lutheran reached out to the community that was changing in population and in culture, and once again Christ Lutheran became an active, evangelistic congregation under the leadership of Rev. Ehlers. In 1987 the congregation took a giant step of faith when they undertook the enlargement of the school by adding elementary grades and by calling a principal and two new teachers. Approximately 90% of the congregation was engaged in some aspect of service to the church. A statement of Mission in Ministry was developed, and in 1989 the mortgage was paid off. In 1990 the Church Growth Study Committee recommended expansion of the present facilities, and on Feb. 10, 1991 ground was broken for the two-story Mission Facility, the 4th building of the complex. It was dedicated in July 1991 and houses offices, an all purpose room, and 5 classrooms. Dr. Ellinor B. White became principal of the school in 199l.
 
In late 1992 Pastor Ehlers announced that he had received and was accepting a call as Missionary to Thailand, and performed his last official act as Pastor of Christ Lutheran in Jan.1993. In 1993 a call was issued to Rev. Peter Ave Lallemant from Omaha, NE. In 1995 Hurricane Opal damaged the first building built in 1956, but it was restored to a much more efficient state and re-dedicated in March 1996. The church and school began a decline in the late 1990's. Vicar Ralph Hough filled the pulpit after Pastor Ave Lallemant accepted a divine call to Memphis, TN. and left Christ Church in Nov. 2001. Rev. Stephen Wiggins was called and took office in March 2003.
 
Christ Lutheran Church is a multi-cultural congregation with a contemporary style of worship and praise; and a true, direct, and applicable delivery of the Word by Pastor Wiggins.

Copyright 2015 Christ Lutheran Church

  • Facebook Clean